This cream cheese ball recipe is a creamy, tangy party appetizer that will have your guests coming back for more. With a blend of cheddar cheese, blue cheese, cream cheese, dried onions, and Worcestershire sauce, all coated in chopped pecans, it’s a vintage appetizer that’s hard to resist.
This homemade cream cheese ball recipe is a perfect blend of convenience and tradition. In a mere 15 minutes, you can have a classic holiday appetizer ready to serve, making it an ideal choice for those who love to impress but also value their time.
My cream cheese ball recipe is a crowd-pleaser, much like my veggie dip appetizer and deviled eggs that are great to serve on the side. If you’re after another creamy appetizer dip, my simple guacamole recipe is a must-try.
This recipe was found in my mom’s vintage recipe book. She called it a party cheese ball – and I remember enjoying it at family functions growing up. It’s super creamy and delicious. It can be served immediately, but I prefer making it ahead to let the flavors come together.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
- Classic Flavors: The combination of cream cheese, blue cheese, and cheddar cheese creates a classic, irresistible flavor that everyone loves.
- Family Favorite: This recipe has been a hit in my family for years. It’s the perfect dish to bring to any family gathering and even holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- Comfort Food: There’s something incredibly comforting about a creamy, cheesy ball of goodness. It’s the perfect comfort food for any occasion.
- Unforgettable: The unique blend of cheeses and the crunch of pecans make this recipe truly unforgettable. It’s a party appetizer that leaves a lasting impression.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- Cream Cheese: This ingredient, when softened, adds a creamy and smooth texture to the dish, enhancing its richness.
- Blue Cheese: Crumbled blue cheese brings a unique, tangy flavor to the recipe, adding depth and complexity.
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese melts beautifully, contributing to a gooey, cheesy consistency that’s simply irresistible.
- Dried Onion: Minced dried onion provides a subtle, savory undertone that complements the cheeses perfectly.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This ingredient adds a savory, slightly tangy kick, enhancing the overall flavor profile of the dish.
- Pecans: Chopped pecans offer a crunchy contrast to the creamy cheese, adding an interesting texture and a slightly nutty flavor.
- Mixer – A mixer is essential for this recipe to blend the cream cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, minced dried onion, and Worcestershire sauce until fluffy. You can use either a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Mixing Bowl – You’ll need a large bowl to hold your ingredients as you prepare them and to mix the cheese mixture in.
How to Make Cream Cheese Balls
Begin by gathering all your ingredients. Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature to ensure smooth blending.
Step 1 – Blend the Ingredients
Combine all your ingredients, excluding the pecans, in a mixing bowl. Start blending at a low speed until everything is mixed. Then, increase the speed to medium and continue to beat until the mixture becomes fluffy.
Step 2 – Form the Cheese Ball
Once your mixture is fluffy, it’s time to shape it. Using your hands, form the mixture into a ball.
Step 3 – Roll in Pecans
Now, take your cream cheese ball and roll it in the chopped pecans. Make sure it’s fully covered for a crunchy, nutty exterior.
Step 4 – Refrigerate
After your cream cheese ball is coated in pecans, place it in the refrigerator. Let it chill until you’re ready to serve it. This will help the ball hold its shape and allow the flavors to meld together.
When forming the cheese mixture into a ball, using wax paper can be a game-changer. It prevents the cheese from sticking to your hands, making the process cleaner and easier.
- Onion: Instead of using dried onion, try using fresh onions, finely minced, for a more vibrant flavor in your classic cheese ball recipe. You can also try adding green onions.
- Nuts: If you’re not a fan of pecans, feel free to use walnuts or almonds. You could also try adding a mix of different nuts for a unique twist.
- Cheese: Experiment with different types of cheese. You could substitute the blue cheese with feta or gorgonzola or try using a spicy pepper jack instead of cheddar.
- Other Flavors: You can also try adding chopped bacon and jalapeno to this cheeseball for a delicious savory and spicy variation.
What to Serve With
- For a simple yet satisfying snack, serve this cream cheese ball with an assortment of crackers. The crisp texture of the crackers complements the creamy and rich flavors of the cheese ball perfectly.
- If you’re looking for a heartier option, try spreading this cream cheese ball over dense toasted bread. The robust flavors of the cheese blend beautifully with the toasty and crunchy bread.
- For a gourmet touch, serve this cream cheese ball with a selection of cured meats and olives. The salty and tangy flavors of the meats and olives balance the rich and creamy cheese ball wonderfully.
- For a fun and casual snack, try serving this cream cheese ball with a variety of fresh vegetables like carrot sticks, celery, and bell pepper slices. The fresh and crisp vegetables provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and creamy cheese ball.
To thicken cream cheese balls, you can add more shredded cheddar cheese or crumbled blue cheese to the mixture. The additional cheese will help absorb any excess moisture and make the cheese ball firmer.
Cheese balls are versatile and pair well with a variety of foods. You can serve them with crackers, pretzels, or sliced vegetables.
For the best results, refrigerate your cream cheese ball for at least two hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and the ball to firm up, making it easier to slice or spread.
Yes, you can use fresh onions in this recipe. However, keep in mind that fresh onions have a stronger flavor and more moisture than dried onions. You might want to use less to avoid an overpowering oniony flavor and a too-soft cheese ball.
If you don’t have Worcestershire sauce on hand, you can substitute it with soy sauce or a mixture of vinegar and sugar. These alternatives will give your cream cheese ball a similar tangy flavor.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerate: After enjoying your cream cheese ball, you can store any leftovers in the fridge. Simply cover the cheese ball and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: If you want to keep it for longer, you can freeze the cream cheese ball. Wrap it in wax paper and then place it in a storage bag. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw: When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen cream cheese ball, let it thaw in the refrigerator.
- What to Expect: This easy cheese ball recipe yields one large cheese ball, which is enough to serve 12 people.
- How to Scale: If you want to make more than one cheese ball, you can double the recipe and follow the instructions as directed. Use a larger bowl to mix the ingredients easily and ensure you have enough pecans for coating.
Cream Cheese Ball
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz ¾ Cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ Cup minced dried onion
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Cup pecans chopped
- Set cream cheese out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Blend together all ingredients (except for the pecans) on low speed until mixed. Beat at medium speed until fluffy. Form into a ball.
- Roll cheese ball in chopped pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.